Zanzibar

Zanzibar
click on the picture...

Friday 9 July 2010

Robbo's glove


November 2008. I’m in my seat early in the south stand at White Hart Lane for the match against Blackburn Rovers. We greeted our former goalkeeper Paul Robinson with cheers and chants of ‘England’s number one’ whilst our new keeper, the long-armed Brazilian Heurelho Gomes patrolled his penalty area like an Octupus with too much adrenalin coursing through his body.


Gomes kept a clean sheet, Roman Pavlyuchenko scored early for Tottenham and we held on for the win. At the final whistle Robinson turned to the south stand and threw his gloves into the air. Most of the regulars where I sit are bigger than me but thankfully no one’s taller. As the gloves floated down I leapt like a geriatric salmon and grabbed the left glove. Even as I pulled it into my body for safekeeping someone tried to wrench it from me.

Robbo’s glove – mine!

Paul Robinson was magnificent for Tottenham during his four years at the club. Gomes has gone from strength to strength and at times was the best ‘keeper in the Premier League last year. Perhaps one day the Octupus will throw his gloves in our direction, hopefully the right hand to match Robbo’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment