Zanzibar

Zanzibar
click on the picture...

Friday 25 June 2010

Youssou N'Dour 2010





June 19th, 2010, Youssou N'Dour returned to Bercy. Dressed in Adidas green and yellow for the souncheck he must have wished he was watching the World Cup.

Come show-time, Bercy was packed, probably 17,000 and mostly Senegalese. There was nothing new about the songs he sang but Youssou gave his faithful fans what they wanted - the sounds and dancing of home.

In the front of the heaving mass shoved up against the crush barriers were some familiar faces from the last time I was here two years ago. I asked one how much he'd paid for his ticket. €40 he said proudly. I started to do the maths gazing at the full stadium but gave up when my stomach flipped thanks to the row of bass speakers I was leaning against.

After something like four hours Youssou left, a hero and father figure to his loyal audience. As Bercy emptied, I wandered out into a wet Paris night and headed towards Bastille and our rented apartment.

The verdict? Not as good as 2008 but despite shambolic moments it was exciting, vibrant and a privilege. I doubt if his show at The Barbican in July will get close to the energy on stage at Bercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment